Thursday, January 15, 2015

Storybook favorites



The first storybook I looked at was called Stories of an Elephant-headed God. I choose this because the title made me laugh! The God's name is Ganesha. His elephant-head was created for protecting his mother. The God had honorable traits such as using his large ears to listen to the people with compassion. One day, Ganesha's dad came home and did not recognize his son and murdered him. This was just the beginning of these elaborate stories this storybook shares. It is an unbelievable tale that would be a hard to believe.


The second story book I found was Women Reincarnated. I found this book interesting because the concept of reincarnation fascinates me. I do not understand how a person can think they can be reborn again in a different form. The believes that exist in India are very different, and this book gives a good insight into these differences. This book has several stories about different women who share their experiences of reincarnation. Each woman gives personal detail about themselves in their tales.

The third story book I chose was 1000 ways to die. I choose this book because it just sounded crazy. I also found this book ironic because death does not seem to be as big of a deal in India as it is in the United States. My favorite article of the story book is called Arrow Through the Bone Marrow. The tale is about a king named Ravana, who was intrigued by death because he was a warrior who fought against Rama because he had stolen his wife. Rama and Ravana battled back in forth in hopes to murder the other, but the other would always succeed in turning the tables on the other. Until one day, Rama finally succeeded in killing Ravana. He had won his trophy back again.


( A photo of the Elephant-headed God: Ganesha

No comments:

Post a Comment