Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Storytelling for Week 10: Dhritarashtra Gets Revenge

Once the war was over, the Pandavas decided to return to the city of Hastinapura to inform king Dhritarashtra and his queen of their loss. Yudhistira was the one strong enough to tell Dhritarashtra of the dreadful news. Unlike their cousins, the Pandavas were upset about having to kill their own family members in order to receive justice. Yudhistira tried to tell his uncle of the events of the war as sympathetically as he could. Finally, he concluded with the news about the story of the death of Duryodhana, Dhritarashtra's eldest son. However, he didn't mention the part where Bhima stomped on his body while he was lying on the ground about to die. Unfortunately, Dhritarashtra didn't need to be told about the events because Sanjaya narrated the war as it happened so Dhritarashtra already knew what Bhima had done to Duryodhana. Furthermore, he wanted revenge on Bhima for what he had done to his son! 

Once Yudhistira was done speaking, Dhritarashtra spoke. "I see! And where is Bhima now? I should apologize to him on my son's behalf."

Yudhistira immediately muttered without suspicion, "Well, he is righ...."

Krishna figured out Dhritarashtra's deceitful plan and interrupted Yudhistira. He then presented a statue that he had quickly created that exactly resembled Bhima. 

Dhritarashtra, being that he is blind, embraced the Bhima figure without hesitation and exclaimed, "Alas, I shall kill Bhima once and for all! You fools!" 

With this, Dhritarashtra squeezed Bhima with all his might and left the figure crumbled into millions of tiny pieces on the floor. Moreover, Duryodhana's mother, Gandhari, and Dhritarashtra rejoiced in the thought of revenge for their son's death!

The other Pandava brothers were unaware of the illusion Krishna had presented. They began to weep for all they had experienced had finally been too much for them to bear! The Pandavas grieving only furthered Dhritarashtra's and Ghandri's sweet revenge celebration.   

However, as Bhima watched the spectacle at a distance in the shadows, he was shocked by the actions of his uncle. He couldn't believe his uncle wanted him dead. It broke Bhima's heart as Dhritarashtra celebrated what he had thought was the end of Bhima. With this feeling festering inside him, Bhima abruptly emerged to Dhritarashtra wiping his revenge smirk off his face.

Bhima shouted, "How dare you praise my death, uncle! You traitor."

Bhima attempted to attack Dhritarashtra, but his brothers stopped him. As Bhima was so strong, it took several brothers to actually prevent Bhima from hurting Dhritarashtra. 

While attempting to stop Bhima, Arjuna whispered in Bhima's ear, "Don't waste your time on him. We have already won, brother!"

Bhima grinned and told Dhritarashtra, "Your actions have betrayed us, and therefore, your karma has caught up to you. You failed, and now.... now your kingdom is ours! You have failed once and for all!"

Finally, the Pandavas cheered! They shared hugs and smiles. Dhritarashtra had betrayed them and he deserved to be stripped of his crown. Once Dhritarashtra had failed at his last attempt at killing a Pandava, there was a ceremony for Yudhistra's coronation. Hastinapura's people were actually relieved to have the Pandavas as their new rulers as they were more just.  At last, the Pandavas ruled the kingdom for many years to come without any problems from Dhritarashtra.


(Image Source: Bhima and Duryodhana)

Author's Note: I wrote this story because when Bhima finally defeats Duryodhana it is my favorite part in the book. However, it is ironic how Dhritarashtra wants revenge on him when the entire audience is happy that the evil cousin is finally dead. Furthermore, Krishna plays such an important role in the war between the cousins. However, when choosing between Krishna or one million troops, Duryodhana thought that Yudhistira was silly for choosing him over the numbers. This tale illustrates yet again another moment that Krishna was an asset to the success of the Pandavas. Krishna uses his wise judgment on Dhritarashtra and protects Bhima one more time! Throughout the book the Pandavas are always stunned at the way their cousins and uncles treat them. I used this to display how I thought Bhima would respond to seeing his uncle think he crushed him to death. Furthermore, Bhima is utterly shocked. However, the Pandavas have better characters than their cousins, so they finally rejoice in their victory instead of killing Dhritarashtra as well. I chose this picture because I think this is the main reason why Dhritarashtra wants to crush Bhima, and he doesn't try it with the rest of the Pandavas.  

Bibliography: 

  • Narayan, R. K. (1978). The Mahabharata.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Rachelle!
    I really enjoyed reading your story! I like that you included a lot of dialogue. I feel like that helps to capture the feelings of the characters very well. One suggestion I have is that in your author's note, you might include more specifics on what you changed from the original story. Your story was very well written and I think that it was very good overall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachelle, I love that you wrote about this specific part of the book! This was one of my favorite parts of the story as well. You did an exceptional job with depicting each characters personality with the dialogue. The image that you chose really fits well into your story. Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rachelle! I really enjoyed your storytelling post this week! You did a great job of incorporating dialogue into your story and it flowed very nicely! My only suggestion would be to add a little more detail to allow your reader to visualize the setting. You did an excellent job overall and I am looking forward to reading more of your stories in the coming weeks of class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rachelle! Great job on this story, it was very easy to read and you did an excellent job incorporating dialogue with text! I would recommend letting the reader know what details you changed from the original story in your authors note. Also, I noticed one small error with the following sentence: "I should apologize to him on my son's behave." I think you meant to say on my son's behalf. Overall this story was great, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachelle,

    I enjoyed reading your version of this story. I think your writing flowed smoothly (your use of dialogue definitely added to that). Your introduction to the story was also well done. I had enough background to understand what was going on and you made me want to keep reading. I liked how you displayed Bhima’s thoughts and actions as he watched his uncle kill him.

    For your author’s note it might help clarify your thoughts to the audience if you section off your summary, your thoughts, etc. into different paragraphs. Also, I noticed the use of ‘However’ and ‘Futhermore’ a few times.

    I found a couple corrections. In your second paragraph I think you meant behalf instead of ‘behave.’ In your 12th paragraph I believe Karma should be capitalized (I’m not positive of this, but I learned that Karma is a male and I am assuming Karma is a name).

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rachelle!

    I think you did a really great job retelling this story. This is such a triumphant part of the book, so I like that you chose to include it in your portfolio. It was very straightforward, and I felt like it gave me a better understanding of all of the characters' motivations. I think I said something similar about another one of your stories. So it's definitely a skill! You did a good job relating the various characters' perspectives without disrupting the flow of the story. Your descriptions are excellent, too, so it was really easy for me to imagine just how the scene plays out.

    I think the image you selected definitely adds to the content of your story. It helps the reader understand exactly what enraged Dhritarashtra so dramatically as to drive him to try to kill Bhima.

    Your portfolio seems like it is coming along nicely! You have four really good stories here! Great job, Rachelle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey Rachelle!
    I thought the idea of Dhritarashtra squeezing Bhima to death in the story was pretty intense. Even though it was just a statue I still imagined him squeezing a person to death. The defeat of Duryodhana is one of my favorite parts in the book as well. There is so much going on during these scenes in the book. I think you did a great job describing all of the events that were taking place. I could visualize your story very well. You did a great job of elaborating on this part of the story. I like the image you chose for your story, it is very fitting.
    I found a small grammatical error. "I should apologize to him on my son's behalf" that is the only thing I found. You did a great job retelling this story. I look forward to reading what you come up with next week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Upon first glance, everything looks great for this story layout wise. The layout makes the font easy to read, and he paragraph spacing is good as well. Also your picture fits in well, and the link works perfectly.

    One of the first things that I noticed was the line, “…apologize on my son’s behave” but the word should be “behalf”.

    Also, on the line “figure out Dhritarashtra deceitful plan” there should be a possessive ‘s’ “Dhritarashtra’s”.

    The comma placement in the line “Duryodhana’s mother, Ghandri and…” Makes it seem like both of them are his mother.

    There shouldn’t be an apostrophe “s” after “the Pandava’s”. There are two instances of that in the same paragraph.

    Your author’s note looks good. I think the explanation and background of the story look good and really help us understand what has just happened and why.

    So, other than that, good job! It was a nice story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a great story! You used such great descriptions and detail. The idea of Dhritarashtra squeezing Bhima to death was intense. I know it was just a statue but he wanted to do it to the real Bhima, which was apparent. There was a lot happening in this section of the book and I think you did a great job retelling it. I like that you chose it for your portfolio as well. I know its hard to choose which one to pick and I’m glad you chose this one! Your way of describing the situation makes me feel like I am a character there in the present watching all this unfold. I can imagine just how nerve-racking it would have been to have deliver the news to Dhritarashtra. Nobody likes to deliver bad news…that took guts and probably a lot of courage. Also I love the layout of your blog! GREAT JOB!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that you begin this story at an important point, hooking the reader with immediate immersion in an event.

    In the first paragraph, I would capitalize "king" before "king Dhritarashtra." You could also reword this sentence for concision and better flow: " Finally, he concluded with the news about the story of the death of Duryodhana, Dhritarashtra's eldest son. " Maybe "news of Duryodhana's death" or "story" of Duryodhana's death."

    You separated out your paragraphs and dialogue really well, making the read easy to follow. Each moment receives individual attention, as it should be. You put a unique take on this part of the Mahabharata, lending the reader insight into both Dhritarashtra's and Bhima's feelings about the situation. Good touch with Bhima walking in on the spectacle!

    In the last paragraph, I don't think the first sentence flows as well as it could. Maybe you could reword it somehow, for example, "The Pandavas cheered in agreement."

    ReplyDelete