Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Storytelling for Week 9: Arjuna the Hero

One training exercise Drona made the boys do was disrupting their vision and forcing them to try to bow down a bird soaring in the sky. Four of the brothers attempted the exercise but failed miserably at their first attempt. However, Arjuna only took one shot at the narrow image of the bird, and the bird came tumbling out of the sky. This was when Arjuna was named the weapon master of the 5 brothers.

After several months, Drona had finally completed training the Pandava brothers. Drona decided to take a relaxing break by a river when all of a sudden a crocodile attacked him. The crocodile was fierce. It attacked Drona so quickly, Drona didn't even have time to react. The crocodile dragged Drona into the water. It twisted and turned in an attempt to break Drona's neck. 

Drona screamed in terror, "Arjuna! Help me! Save me!" 

Immediately, Arjuna, being just named the weapons master, sprung into action eager to practice what he had just been taught. Arjuna quickly located his bow and ran to Drona's aid! 

Arjuna replied to Drona, "Don't fear! I am on my way! I had to grab my bow first."

Meanwhile, the crocodile had nearly managed to rip Drona's arm off when Arjuna pierced the crocodile in the back. Unfortunately, Arjuna didn't know the shield a crocodile possessed on his back. To kill a crocodile there is one spot that must be hit in order to kill them. There is no other way.This spot is considered the sweet spot. 

Arjuna wasted 3 extra bows until finally Drona shouted at him, "Arjuna he has a sheild. The crocodile is hard as stone everywhere except his head. That's why I can't wrestle myself out of this. Hurry! He is going to kill me!" 

Finally, Arjuna placed an arrow right between the crocodiles eyes. The crocodile realized his monstrous grip on Drona. Drona swam to shore and hugged Arjuna. He had saved his life!

Drona chanted, "Arjuna you are the god of weapons. I will forever be in debt to you for this favor! I am not sure how I will ever be able to repay you for this wonderful thing you have done."

Arjuna responded with, "Drona, you are my teacher. You will forever have my protection. There is no need for you to repay. I will always save you and others out of gratitude for the lessons you have taught me. These skills with help me and my brothers throughout our entire lives. We are eternally grateful. It is the least I can do." 

And the pair walked away together while embracing each other, appreciating the presence of the new friendship that had been made. 

(Image Source: Arjuna by Kangra)

Author's Note: I wrote this story to describe the events that were happening during Drona's attack by a crocodile. I imaged that once Drona was done training the five brothers, he would need a little time to be alone. This is when I envisioned the crocodile attack to occur. Since Drona was alone. it took Arjuna some time to come to his aid. Since I know that crocodile's have a protective shell all over their body except for around their head, I assumed that Arjuna would try to kill him around the heart. While trying to get away Drona learns where to kill the crocodile, and shouts out to Arjuna the key to defeat him. I chose this image because I feel like it shows how powerful of a being Arjuna becomes in his lifetime. This event was just the beginning to great things to come while Arjuna exist. I think this would be a great story to add to my portfolio to give variety from a new source other then The Ramayana. Also, it shows the relationship between the teacher and his trainees. The trainee feels great gratitude to the people that teach them valuable skills that help them to succeed throughout their entire lives.

Bibliography: 
  • Narayan, R. K. (1978). The Mahabharata





1 comment:

  1. Rachelle, I think you did a great job with this story. I enjoyed the action that you included in this story and the creativity that you incorporated. I found the story really interesting and entertaining. I also thought you did a good job with the author's note. The only suggestions I have is to maybe proofread for spelling and grammar. I found a few mistakes with spelling...such as misspelling shield. But overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete