Sunday, February 1, 2015

Brainstorm Storytelling Styles: Animal Stories

Topic: I will do the animal story about Jatayu and Sampati from The Ramayana. I think animals have a lot to teach humans about how to love unconditionally. I will, also, do the story about Hanuman's loyalty to Rama. Hanuman is a monkey species that behave very similarly to mortals. Hanuman has a lesson to teach us about keeping his word to his father and being a courageous warrior in honor of Rama. Lastly, I will learn more about Rama and the squirrel. I will have to research this more as I have not heard of this tale yet. However, what I have learned so far is that the little squirrel was doing all he could to help Rama cross the water to Lanka. Sometimes the multitude of the gift isn't important. It's the small things that matter, and the small things (pebbles) are the foundation of the big thing (bridge).

Bibliography: 
Lord Rama and the Squirrel, from Indian Stories for Children, by Anuradha Shankar, (2010)
Hanuman, from Indian Stories for Children, by Anuradha Shankar, (2010)
The history of Hanuman, from Wikipedia
The life of Hanuman, from Sanatan Society
The history of Sampati and Jatayu, from Wikipedia
Sampati, from Birds of Ramayana, by Bharat Bhushan

Possible Styles:

New Character: By introducing a new character, I can tie all four of these animals together with the common ground being Rama. I could even tell the story as the first person to make the animal characters have a more personal aspect. I could portray the characters of the animals individually highlighting each of their best qualities. I think this would be a really cool way to display how animals have a lot of things to teach humans about how forgiving and unconditionally loving each other. I could also show their true intentions of helping Rama and their struggles in doing so.

Personal Journeys: I could display each animal characters personal journey to finding Rama. This could show the struggles that may be unheard in common retellings of The Ramayana. Each character plays a special role in Rama's journey, and I could display their journey. For example, Sampati could be searching for Rama just missing him every once in a while. Also, Hanuman could display some hesitation to worship Rama in his desperate condition as it may place a hardship on him as well.

Time Travel: I could be placed in a time travel machine and go back to the day of all Rama's encounters with these animals, and assist them in their journey. I could even combine this idea with the new character idea to help Rama fight Ravana. I could be a mixture of Sampati and something else. Being from the future could help because I know more background information, and I even know the outcome. This idea leaves a lot of room for the imagination to get into the real characters and intentions of the animals.

Death bed story: The main story could be of Jatayu on his death bed after attempting to prevent Ravana from stealing Sita. All these animal characters could visit him, and make individual promises to him on how to assist Rama in retrieving Sita and returning to reign. Jatayu on his bed begins to see the future events for Rama in the forest and knows he is going to be in need of more assistance. This could also show the connection Rama has with the animal character. While this is occurring Sampati catches wind of the events, and is able to come to Jatayu's side and save him while also obtaining his restored wings in the presence of Rama. 

(Hanuman growing giant to step across the water to Lanka by Sanatan Society)

No comments:

Post a Comment