Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Storytelling for Week 5: Monkey Kong

Once upon a time in a far away land, Brahma, the creator of life, came down from the heavens to enjoy the magnificent Mount Meru. Mount Meru was covered with gold and diamonds. Everything sparkled. Brahma, overwhelmed by the scenery, shed a tear of joy, and where it landed grew Earth's first monkey, Riksharaja. Brahma stayed on Mount Meru so that Riksharaja wouldn't be left all alone. The baby monkey danced and played on the mountain while eating all kinds of delicious fruit until one day while drinking from a lake, he became bored of the same old thing every day. He began to wonder how much fun the fish below the water were having, since they were swimming around so carefree. 

Suddenly, Riksharaja cannon-balled into the water, making an enormous splash. Riksharaja was enjoying the refreshing water that was swooshing by his fur, tingling his skin for the first time, when he realized his appearance was now that of a girl. So the monkey rushed out of the water and scurried to Brahma to figure out what was the matter with him. Brahma told him that being the only monkey on earth he could act as both a girl or a boy. Surprised, Riksharaja hurried back to the lake and jumped into the water again in an attempt to turn back into a boy, but once out of the water the monkey saw its reflection. She was the most beautiful creature on Mount Meru, and she began to accept her new image.

Meanwhile, Indra, the storm god, and Surya, the sun, caught a glimpse of the breathtaking creature standing at the edge of the lake. It was love at first sight for both gods. First Indra came to embrace Riksharaja, and then Surya came to her second. Within that same day, Vali and Sugriva were born. Vali was Indra's son and Sugriva was Surya's son. Proud of her accomplishments, Riksharaja rushed to Brahma to show off her babies. But before she could make it to Brahma, Riksharaja  got swept off her feet by a whirl of wind. It spun her around so fast she thought she was going to be sick, but all she could think about was the safety of her babies. At last, the wind placed her back on Earth, but now she was in her original form. The sudden gush of wind had turned her back into a boy. Riksharaja, stunned by the day's events, quickly grabbed his babies and continued to run to Brahma, but now it was for safety. 

Riksharaja reached Brahma in such a commotion it took him a while to recognize the gifts Riksharaja had brought to him. Once he saw the babies, he celebrated the monkey's accomplishments and comforted him, as he knew what events had taken place in Riksharaja's day. As a reward, Brahma gave Vali, Riksharaja's son with Indra, the land of Kishkindhya and populated the kingdom with more monkeys so he wouldn't be all alone. Riksharaja had accomplished his purpose on Earth and Brahma allowed to go with him to the heavens to rest. From afar, Riksharaja watched his boys. He began to notice that Vali was spoiled, and he asked the Wind God, Vayu, to have a child that could be a loyal friend to Sugriva. Vayu agreed and went to Kishkindhya to find a mate. Vayu stumbled upon the most beautiful monkey of all, Anjana. While Anjana was alone in the meadows, Vayu made a baby with Anjana.



(Image Source: Hanuman Statue)

Within that same day Hanuman was born. The heavens sang of joy because they knew what kind of steadfast monkey had been born on that day. Unfortunately, Anjana was already married, so she rushed back to her husband in shame, leaving baby Hanuman all alone. Several days went by, and Hanuman grew very lonely. He had to teach himself how to walk so he could survive. 

Once Vayu saw his baby had been abandoned, he tried to visit, but Indra knew the destiny of Hanuman was to be the loyal friend to Sugriva which would somehow result in the death of Vali, his son. Therefore, Indra made it impossible for Vayu to ever be able to come near Hanuman again. As a result of this betrayal, Hanuman became very angry. He made a promise to himself to be the most loyal monkey to ever walk the Earth. Seeing that Hanuman was struggling with the abandonment of his dad, Vayu, Brahma came to his aid as Hanuman had been a faithful creature to the gods. Instead of turning his anger into evil, he used it for good by promising to be a faithful friend to all who deserved it. Brahma granted him everlasting life, and the gods came from all over to teach him powers that would sustain him during his life. 

Hanuman's favorite power was the ability to grow into a massive monkey that could take one step across the ocean. He lived in the forest for four years, scavenging for his own food and befriending a kingdom of bears. One day, Hanuman decided to cross a lake where he found Kishkindhya. He noticed that the creatures of the land were of the same species as himself, so he entered the city in hopes to find companionship among his own. Unfortunately, while Hanuman was roaming the forest, Indra came to Vali in order to warn him of Hanuman's arrival. He told him that by being friends with this creature it would eventually result in his death. Furthermore, once Hanuman came into the kingdom, everyone immediately shunned him due to the orders from Vali, their king. 

However, there was one lonely monkey, Sugriva, that took Hanuman into his home as his long lost friend. Hanuman asked Sugriva, "Aren't you scared of what Vali might do to you if he finds out about my presence?" Sugriva answered, "Don't worry! I will handle my brother." Then Hanuman vowed to be Sugriva's truest friend as long as he should live due to the sanctuary he had just granted him. And so, they both never felt lonesome again, and the pair became inseparable ever afterwards. 

Author's Note: I wrote this as a bedtime story for a baby monkey. I wanted to give it the details that would make it fun to read for a little monkey, so that he will stay interested in it even though it is long. Also, the child might fall asleep before it was over. When I was younger, I loved to have a story to continue the next night. It forced my parents to read to me twice! Also, I added some magical events, such as the spinning wind transforming Riksharaja from a girl back into a boy, so it would have the feel of a fairy tale even though the basis of the story is the real history of Hanuman. This will allow the monkey parent to teach their baby monkey a little bit about its history while being entertained. However, once Hanuman was born, I wanted to continue his story to show what a great character had been created for Surgriva.  As we have read, Hanuman is very loyal, and I wanted to provide a story that explained what made this monkey so loyal to Sugriva and Rama. I displayed this by adding the details about how Hanuman used his anger for good. I choose the image above because it gives an image of Hanuman to place with the story about his birth that is being told. Unfortunately, I was unable to find a picture of baby Hanuman. I think this will be a great story to put into my portfolio because I enjoy reading it and I hope you do too!

Bibliography: Buck, William. Hanuman. Ramayana: King Rama's Way. (1976): 184-189

11 comments:

  1. Hello!

    I really like the way that you wrote your story! It is always interesting to read something in the form of a child's story. I think this is true especially for stories from the Ramayana, because there is a lot in there that I would never want to tell my kids before they settled down in bed for the night! haha. You had some really good imagery in your story. However, I had a hard time keeping up with all of the characters. But I guess, in all reality, that is how I feel during the actual Ramayana. Good luck with the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your story. The details and descriptions you used were fabulous. When it was over I wanted more to read. I wanted the story to keep going! I think my favorite part was where you describe how Riksharaja grew bored and wondered what it would be like to be a fish. I think it was an important detail in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this story. I feel as if we do not hit on the monkeys enough as an entire class so it was very nice to see this type of story revolving around their creation. I wrote one of my stories on the as well, as they are my second favorite storyline behind Rama and Sita. With regards to the actual story I particularly enjoyed your writing style and creativity. Also, the use of Brahma as an important character was something i greatly enjoyed as I feel like he is such a smaller character than he could be throughout the entire story. He has the possibility to have great role as a king, but instead he is given such a weak role in comparison. With regards to your author's note, I believe that you really achieved your goal of creating the bedtime story in a way of it being extremely interesting. Everything there is really intriguing. Look forward to reading your stories and projects as we move on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rachelle!

    I really loved your story this week! You did a great job telling the story! I loved your idea for telling the story! I really enjoyed it being like a bed time story! My mom used to read me bedtime stories when I was little! This was one of my favorite things growing up! I hope to continue that tradition when I have kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Rachelle!

    I really loved your story this week! You did a great job telling the story! I loved your idea for telling the story! I really enjoyed it being like a bed time story! My mom used to read me bedtime stories when I was little! This was one of my favorite things growing up! I hope to continue that tradition when I have kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Rachelle,
    I am really glad you chose this prompt. It was my second choice but I went with something else. I really liked how your story flowed. You did a great job of making it feel like a bed time story. It was a really fun read from front to finish. You were also very detailed and painted a vivid picture for the reader. I liked how you implemented the magical atmosphere within the story. For example, the gush of wind that turned Riksharaja back to her original form was a great idea! Also the cannon-ball into the water was awesome. Using the image in the middle of your story to bisect it was a good decision. It made the story not seem too long, and you found a great place to split it and give your reader a break visually. Maybe you could break up some of the paragraphs as well. I loved the ending, a story about best buddies! You did a great job on this one Rachelle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rachelle,

    I really enjoyed reading this story. You had great imagery describing the characters and the setting of the story. This part of the Ramayana was one of my favorites because of how bizarre the events were which led to births of Valid, Sugriva, and Hanuman. In the original, I loved how Vayu stayed with Hanuman in the cave to nature his son, so the changes you made with your story was an unexpected twist. I still enjoyed it, nonetheless. I also like how you made Brahma a main character within your story. At first I thought you might make Hanuman retaliate against India, but instead, you had Brahma help him channel his anger into something positive.

    I really didn't find any grammatical or spelling errors with your writing. The spacing between paragraphs looks great. The breaks in the story made it super easy to read and follow. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Rachelle! I enjoyed reading your story. I thought it was very creative of you to write a story as a bedtime story. Because its a portfolio, I did not expect a bed time story. Hanuman is one of my favorite character from the Indian Epics because he is so royal to Rama throughout the story. I love how you added details about your childhood in the author's note. I never thought Ramayana will be a good bedtime story, but after reading your story, I think they will be great bedtime story if I switch some stuff. I like the little changes you made in the story such as making Brahma as the main character and the cannon-ball. You allowed the reader to create good imagery in my head while reading the story. There were barely any grammatical error and the paragraph structure was great! Great story and I can't wait to read more stories from you!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Rachelle! You did a great job with this story. I didn't see any mistakes in it, and it flowed very well! I love the idea of writing a bed time story, in fact my entire story book is bed time stories! You had such great detail in the story that made it really enjoyable to read. The monkey's of Indian epics are very fun to read about, and you did an awesome job adding details to separate your story from what was told in Buck's version. The details about the birth of the monkey's as well as Hanumans birth are super interesting. You even added in some great info about Vali and Sugriva. The content of your story is excellent! Perhaps you could add more original ideas to the story, but without them your story was still excellent. Great job on this story, I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Rachelle!
    I figured I would come read one of your stories since you read mine and I am so glad I did. This story is so wonderfully written. There is so much detail! I love that you incorporated the history of Hanuman and how everything lined up for him to be. The story flowed well from beginning to end. The monkeys are so quickly talked about, and their stories are usually brushed over to move on to the plot for Rama’s life. I loved that you chose to elaborate on that!
    The only suggestion I would have is to make it a little livelier. Telling a bedtime story is such a creative idea, I just feel that given the context a child would become a little bored within the story. Short colorful sentences would make sense in this setting to help keep the interest of a young one.
    Other than that I absolutely loved this story it was so well put together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Rachelle! I thought you did a great job in writing this story. I liked how you wrote this story in the form of a bedtime story because I find in interesting to read stories in different forms and styles. You definitely did a good job in making it a bedtime story. I also thought you did a very good job in describing the events that led up to Hanuman’s birth. The story flowed very well and the sentence and paragraph structure was great. You have a great imagination which is probably why I was so intrigued by your story because I had no idea where it was going to end.
    I didn’t really find any grammatical or punctuation errors so good job in minimizing those! Overall, I thought you did a great job in portraying your idea into your story and you also did a great job in the actual writing of your story!

    ReplyDelete