Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Reading Diary B: Rama returns to Ayodhya

I like how this version actually tells of Rama's life after he returns home to Ayodhya.

In the other version the entire book the reader is hoping he will return home and when he finally does that is where the story ends. It leaves the reader dying for what happened next. I enjoyed this version better.

I can't believe after the journey Rama took to save Sita he allows a little gossip of peasants to get in the way of his relationship with his beloved Sita. It is astonishing that he abandons her. As a woman, of course I love that fact that someone rescues her and returns the precious princess to her father to take of her. She deserves to live as royalty as she is so pure and priceless after all. 

I also find it funny that Rama thinks he should have a festival and has the audacity to go to Janka to invite Sita's family. I am glad he saw her there.

Although Narayan leaves his book after Rama returns home to Ayodhya, I can understand why. In his version, I was left absolutely loving Rama, but in Buck's version the end makes me feel differently about Rama. I spent the entire book routing for him, and then he abandons Sita. It shows even the best of us let the opinions of others into our heads. It is surprising how influential a couple of little words can have on all of us. This speaks volumes to the situations going on in my life right now.

(Image Source: Rama returns to Ayodhya)

No comments:

Post a Comment